Black Russian Rye


If I can find this bread in a store, it's spendy.  I sent away for a mix, but that seemed equally expensive, until I finally figured out the basic ingredients needed to duplicate this loaf.

 I use my bread machine.  But this could be adapted by mixing, kneading, rising, shaping, rising again and baking in an oven. I like to use for Reuben or ham sandwiches or as a breakfast toast with eggs.  I slice,  freeze, then vacuum seal using as needed.


Black Russian Rye
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tabs. cider vinegar
1 Tab. softened butter
1 tsp. salt
1 Tab. brown sugar
1 tsp. instant coffee granules
2 Tabs. molasses, or dark corn syrup
3 Tabs. cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 cup rye flour
2 tsps. yeast
(optional: 1 Tab. caraway seed; 1/4 tsp. fennel seed)

Put in machine in order of machine instructions.  Use whole wheat or regular crust setting.
Estimated Cost: $1.25 or less

No comments:

Post a Comment