Fried Pickle Chips

Fried Pickles, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppI had to try fried pickle chips after seeing them featured so many times on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network.  It seemed like such a novelty!

I keep of list of "things" I want to try and make and this one is now crossed off.  A reader suggested the Come Back Sauce posted earlier  in this blog, would be good for fried pickles, so that spurred me to make them.  Oh my goodness, what a treat!


My husband is up to trying anything and he was delighted with them.  I'd already made an egg mixture and coating mixture to make pork chops, so thought I'd do fried pickles for a side dish and use up the rest of the batter.


My coating mixture is Panko crumbs,  flour and sesame seeds, but regular bread crumbs would work, too.


It couldn't be easier.  I don't have a deep fryer, so use a deep 3 quart pot putting in 2-3 inches of oil and heat to 350 for frying.  A cast iron skillet with an inch of oil would work, too.  I save my oil, refrigerate and reuse.  After using, I strain it and put in ajar and reuse about 3 or 4 times. 


Tip: oil is ready when small bubbles rise around a wooden spoon handle inserted into oil. 


Fried Pickle Chips
1 to 2 cups of oil or more as needed for frying
drained dill pickle slices, about 2 cups
flour for dusting
1 beaten egg, with a shell of water
1- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
dipping sauces: Come Back Sauce, Ranch Dressing, Blue Cheese

Heat oil over medium heat to 350.  Test by dropping a crumb into oil to see if it "sizzles."; or test with a wooden spoon handle.
Pat pickles slices dry on a paper towel, dust both sides with flour.
Dip slices into egg, then into crumb mixture.
Fry several at a time, until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes, turning once.
Drain on a paper towel, then serve with sauce/sauces.
Serves 4 - 6.

Estimated cost: $1.50 or less

    1 comment:

    1. Woa! I'll bet their delicous! And no doubt the sesame seeds a brilliant addition!

      ReplyDelete