Strawberry Ice Cream

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Now that strawberries are abundant in the market, and I'm growing them this year, I figured I might as well dig out the ice cream maker.  So glad I did.

We're not big dessert eaters, but a sweet treat now and then is nice. I bought an ice cream maker several years ago when the grand kids were coming for the holidays thinking it would be fun making ice cream with them, which it was.  But then I seldom used it and stored it away, but kept the freezer bowl in back of the freezer.


When the kids were young we made plain vanilla ice cream taking turns churning by hand with rock salt, or rolling in a coffee can with rock salt, by kicking the can around.


Electric ice cream machines are so much more advanced and fast these days.  I bought a Cuisinart and within a half hour, fresh ice cream is ready! The instruction book offers endless flavors and types of frozen treats to try.  This summer I'm trying many flavors.


Strawberry Ice Cream

1 pint strawberries, cleaned and chopped
Strawberry Ice Cream, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App1 Tab. lemon juice
2 eggs
1 cup sugar, divided
1 pint heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix strawberries, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup sugar in a mixing bowl.
In larger bowl beat eggs until fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Slowly add 3/4 cup sugar, mixing well to dissolve sugar. Stir in milk and vanilla. 

Add strawberry mixture then
gently stir in and combine whipping cream. Let chill in refrigerator for an hour or more. Pour into ice cream maker following manufacturer's instructions. Makes about a quart and-a-half or 12, 1/2 cup servings.   Serve in a dish, cone or with baked goodies.

Estimated cost: $5.50 or less;  .45 cents a serving or less.

2 comments:

  1. Great pics! Makes me miss my little hand ice cream maker (likewise w/ the frozen bowl - it only took about 10 minutes and a dozen stirs til ready!)

    You simply MUST try making avocado ice cream - it's divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, I saw it done on a cooking show awhile back, and I happen to have an avocado on hand ;)

    ReplyDelete