Best Chocolate Cake and Frosting

Best Chocolate Cake, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone AppThis is my mom's recipe and first cake recipe I ever made after newly married in 1965.  I've made it countless times over the years as a cake or cupcakes for family celebrations, school functions, parties, or dessert anytime.

It makes a very fluffy, soft textured cake or cupcakes.  The frosting is rich, creamy and melts in your mouth.

When I taught middle school, at the end of every month I'd have a day to recognize everyone who had a birthday that month and make these cupcakes for the class.

I'd combined the celebration with an art project that period.  The kids not only looked forward to art but also to the cupcakes every month. This recipe is "kid tested" and approved!


Even if you use a boxed cake mix, which I do from time to time, especially when on sale, this frosting makes it extra special.

Best Chocolate Cake
1 cup cold coffee
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
5 heaping tsps. cocoa
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
Optional toppings or decorations: sprinkles, fresh berries or chopped nuts

Mix coffee, flour, powder, soda and salt.  In a separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar, cocoa, oil and vanilla.  Combine both mixtures and blend well.  Batter will be thin.  Pour into greased 8x8 baking dish or pan at 350 oven for 40-45 minutes.  If making into cupcakes, bake 30 minutes.  Double recipe for a two layer cake.  Makes about a dozen cupcakes.

Best Chocolate Frosting
6 ounces of chocolate chips
2 sticks, 1 cup of butter or margarine (butter is better!)
1 egg

Melt chips with butter. Cool and whip in egg for a long time until well blended and creamy, about two minutes.  Chill in refrigerator until stiff.  Remove and whip again.  The more you chill and whip the better it becomes, increasing in volume, so do it at least three times before using for frosting. Extra frosting can be frozen for reuse. It should frost a 2 layer cake, or 24 cupcakes.

Estimated cost of  singlecake/cupcakes $1.50 or less; frosting, $2.50 or less.

1 comment:

  1. FABULOUS pic! And of course (given our shared DNA) I can heartedly attest that Mom's recipe truly IS the very BEST chocolate cake (and especially that decadent FROSTING!

    That said, strange... Lately all Blogger sites have neen blocked here in Vietnam (including my own TravelnLass site!) BUT... While I need to use a proxy to view your blog on my laptop, strangely - I have no trouble viewing on my iPod Touch...

    ReplyDelete